Monday, June 20, 2011

SIDEWAYS IS A KILLER - LEARN TO TRADE IT

For an options trader, a sideways trend is a killer.

The reason that it's a killer is that usually by the time you figure out that the trend has transitioned from a bullish or bearish market to a sideways market it's usually too late and you've taken major losses.  (similar to my RES trade).

However, this has made me realize that I really don't have a sideways trading style.  I only had trending systems.  But, thanks to my RES trade, and some other recent losses, I've developed a sideways system.

I'm not going to give the particulars of it right now, but it will deal with CONSTANTLY marking out the highs and lows so I know if the stock and/or market I'm looking at is trending or sideways.  This sounds overly simple, but if you know exactly what is going on in the market when it comes to movement, then you can find your advantage points and trade them accordingly.

This new sideways trading style has been backtested extensively and will provide some nice profits in the future.  It won't be as profitable as the trending style, but at least it will be profitable rather than either not being in the market at all, or worse - losing money.

The important aspects of this sideways system are:
1.  Marking all highs and lows - thereby being completely cognizant of the market movement.
2.  Knowing where the edges are for probability trading.
3.  Knowing where the targets are once in a trade.
4.  Knowing where to take losses.

I understand the above numbered items are vague, but as I get into new sideways trades, I'll expand on them.

MOST LIKELY we're at a point now where we'll start trending (I'm guessing up) - Murphy's Law.  But, in any event the most important thing to know now is:

I CAN NOW TRADE IN MARKETS THAT ARE MOVING UP, DOWN, AND SIDEWAYS!  

Now is the time to start rebuilding the account!

No comments:

Post a Comment